A Bridge to Our Future


In 1943, 50,000 native Bulgarian jews were saved from Nazi death camps in what is one of the biggest open secret from the second world war. Both my parents were among them. So fate handed me a lucky card so to speak. This blog is about my journey to find out what happened. “the family is link to our past, bridge to our future." Alex Haley.

Tuesday 5 January 2010

Being Lucky

Beyond Hitler's Grasp is a fantastic book about how and why the Bulgarian Jews were saved. It's written in that punchy, page turning style like Stephen E Ambrose....Gosh, brings back the memories. Hours sat at a wobbly pine desk imagining world war two, or the berlin blockade in technicolour, through the words of a gifted historian. This book is the same, vibrant, telling, emotional. I thoroughly recommend it for a good read, let alone an introduction to this chapter in bulgarian history.

I've just read the chapters on the massacre of the jews from Thrace and Macedonia. there but for the grace of g-d.... I could have been so close. I could have been one of those puffs of spoke that refused to get up and become real because someone cut her down a long long time ago.

Whatever I moan about, thank you. I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

BlogCatalog